One of my girlfriends
and I headed south on I-55 on Friday and didn't look back. We traveled through
Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi and Louisiana in about 10 hours.
I imagined Louisiana to
be the swamp capitol of the world, but much to my surprise that wasn't the case
at all. Don't get me wrong.. there was swamp, but we didn't make it far enough
into the southern edges of the state to experience that.
Our first task at
hand.... Find a Starbucks with the "You are Here" mugs. While
searching for the closest Starbucks store, we stumbled upon a bit of courage,
and decided that we would throw caution to the wind and drive over Lake
Pontchartrain.
Just a few quick facts
about Lake Pontchartrain:
- The 23-Mile Lake Pontchartrain Causeway in Louisiana is
the longest continuous over water bridge in the world.
- The causeway is the worlds lowest bridge, at only 15
feet above the water.
- Some pockets of holes in the lake are over 80 feet
deep.
- Each year over 8 Million vehicles travel over the
causeway.
- Daily vehicle count over the causeway is now above
40,000.
- The causeway was built in 14 months and completed in 19
months.
- The bridges have been struck by marine vessels only 16
times since it's opening on August 30, 1956.
- Total cost for land acquisition and building of the
causeway and twin bridges was $81 Million Dollars.
Pretty impressive
right?
I have always been
absolutely terrified of bridges. My mother told me the story of my
great-grandmother's car being the last one off of a bridge in Ohio before it
collapsed. My great-grandmother was alright, and there were not any other cars
passing over that bridge at the time of collapse. After the details in that
story ... I have always been afraid of bridges.
I'm not sure what i was
expecting when we decided to drive over that bridge, but what was about the
happen was not what I had anticipated. We paid the toll of $3.00 and drove onto
the northern portion of the North Shore bridge access. Water, water, and more
water is what I saw. Land was no longer visible after about 3 miles and not
again until about 5 miles from the Southern Shore where the skyline of the New
Orleans Business District was the size of something found in a snow globe.
My first instinct was to
panic once I could no longer see land. God is bigger than my fear was the chant
of my heart for the first few miles. The car felt like a roller coaster because
of the waves that I felt due to the tires being in contact with the part of
road where the support columns held the bridge in it's place beneath the
surface.
After about 5 minutes on
the bridge, I decided to really look out and see where I was. I was in the
middle of the lake... no land anywhere in sight, no way of getting off the
bridge, nothing to save me from my worst fear.
I took several deep
calming breaths, grabbed my iphone and started taking pictures. My heart rate
slowed down, the feeling of nausea no longer, tears were gone from my eyes, and
I was falling in love with my surroundings. I was actually enjoying myself!
Wow....
I rolled down my window,
turned the music off, and listened to the sound of the tires as they rolled
over the concrete bridge "clip, clop, clip, clop, clip, clop". I
closed my eyes, and inhaled the faint aroma of salt mixed with the invigorating
warm gulf coast air. The sky was engulfed by greyish-white clouds, the dirty
brown water was choppy due to being beaten by a brisk wind and I couldn't take
my eyes off of the body of water directly in my gaze.
My fear was no longer
the focus of my mind, and in it's place was found the longing for this
particular journey to not end anytime soon. 25 Minutes was all the time it took
to cross from one side of Lake Pontchartrain to the other, and inside of that
time I learned a thing or two about myself. I learned that I really ought
to stop fearing things that sound scary based on points of view that aren't my
own. I also realized that my fear of being out of control, has hindered me very
severely throughout my life and that it's time for me to change that way of thinking.
As the weekend ended and
we began the lengthy drive home on Sunday, my friend and I made one last drive
over that beautiful body of water, this time not being fearful of the unknown,
and enjoying the 25 last minutes we had in the company of such a magnificent
adventure in New Orleans!





It is so fun by how fear can blind us so much, and how it binds us so tightly we can barley breath. I am glad that you faced your fears and had a close encounter with God. It is awesome that you realized another fear you had in the mist of facing a fear. I bet your life will be bigger adventure now and expanded in ways you never thoght it would be.. All because your facing fears instead of letting them control you. You are a great writer you brought the reader(me) into the story and expressed your feelings very well!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your kind words AmyJane.
Delete