March 6, 2014

Submit .... What A Word!



    The words SUBMIT and SUBMISSION have been stirring in my heart for the last month. Questions kept rising to the surface of my mind that I didn't have the answers to and quite frankly, I wasn't really interested in seeking out the answers for fear of not liking what I would find.

I have always said that I would never submit to the authority of anyone, that I would never give dominion of my life over to anyone else.  I looked at the word as a nasty, controlling, hateful part of my society. Doormat, defiled, forceful, unkind, loveless, superior, fearful, harsh, cruel, untrustworthy, authoritative, dominated, subject, were all words that came to my mind when I heard someone say submit or submission.


Growing up, I fought the authority of my parents, siblings, teachers, and anyone else who thought that I should obey them. My mom has always told me that from the age of 4, she knew that I would be a stubborn, strong willed, defiant child. My poor mother didn't really know how stubborn of a child I was going to be.


Instead of embracing submission, I skipped school, lied about everything from the color of my tee shirt to the places I went, I befriended people who would only bring about harm and pain, I hid in my bedroom ignoring my family, I entered into relationships that were dangerous and would shape the way i treated myself and others for years to come. If I were to have looked up the definition of  "defiance", my picture surely would have been found there. 


It wasn't until a few years ago, that I started to look at myself through the eyes of Jesus. As it turns out, I don't have to be afraid of my own shadow or the darkness in my past.  I remember reading a passage in the book of Ephesians  that changed how I felt about that word Submit.



  • Ephesians 5:21  "submit to one another in reverence for Christ"
I learned that to submit, means to trust,  and to commit myself to the authority of God and others in my life. It does not mean to be dominated, pushed around, or forcefully made to do something that I am not comfortable with.

If  I call myself a Christ follower, but do not submit myself to the rules and guidelines that have been given to me, then what good comes from identifying myself as His child? I'm sure that confusion would be what people saw in me instead of the love of Christ.


Inside of relationships, submission might look a lot like trust, patience, respect, gratitude or appreciation . Most importantly, submission is about pursuing God's will  over my life and in my relationships. Is there anything better than knowing that your partner, parent, coworker, sibling, small group leader, or friend is taking the time to guard your heart by having your best interest in mind? 


I've noticed in my own life, that when I give over control and align my will with God's will, submission isn't scary at all, in fact it's freeing. I don't have to be the leader, because God is. I don't have to be the decision maker on all things, because God is. I have a higher authority, I can be assured that God will always have my best interest in his well laid plans for me. God will not hurt me, nor will His plans for me. God will never lead me down a path that leads to destruction or shallow loss.  In His word  God specifically tells me that he does not plan to harm me.   Jeremiah 29:11  "For I know the plans I have for you, "declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future" I can trust his will and submit not only because of His word, but also because I love Him and want to be blessed by His good nature and love.


I'm thankful that my fears have been relieved, and that I finally have a good example of what submission truly looks like and is meant to be. I'm no longer fearful of what is to come in my relationships, but hopeful for the future that my God and creator has ordained for me.





sub.mit
verb
1.Accept or yield to a superior force or to the authority of will of another person.

    sub.mis.sion
    noun
                 1.The action or fact of accepting or yielding to a superior force or to the will or authority of another person.

















    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Hey there, It's great to hear from you. Thanks for stopping by and for leaving a message for me.