A Life Verse from a Lady-in-Waiting
By Sherri Stewart
Do you have
a life verse? If so, who gave it you? I have a life verse, but I’ve owned it
for so long, I can’t remember where I got it—maybe it was given to me at my
baptism or perhaps at a ladies conference. What I do know is I have a great
verse: Trust in the Lord with all your
heart, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge
Him, and He will make your paths straight (Proverbs 3:5,6).
The next
question that comes to my mind is—if someone gave me that verse, how did they
choose it? I would like to believe that a gifted pastor was prompted by the
Holy Spirit to give me that verse. Or maybe there are certain Bible verses that
are so full of wisdom that they lend themselves to becoming life verses, and
everyone gets great ones.
Whatever the
case, I love my verse. There is nothing I want to do more than trust the Lord
with all my heart. Sometimes, God puts us in situations where all we can do is
trust Him. For me, I had just passed the bar exam and was looking forward to
spending the summer finding the perfect job with an immigration law firm. I had
dreams of fighting for the rights of the immigrant and the oppressed. Instead,
in a matter of a few months, my husband lost his job, I had knee surgery, we
lost our home and our savings, my husband lost part of his foot, and our dog
died. Call me Job. Not the best summer. I had to put my law career on hold and
find a job to support the family. We moved in with my son in his one-bedroom
apartment. The only bathroom was in his bedroom. Can you imagine?
Yet I
wouldn’t change a thing. God has made the Bible come alive since our lives
turned upside down. I find myself memorizing Scriptures without any effort at
all, and singing verses back to Him as I walk around the lake near our
apartment. I have memorized so many verses, my melodious repertoire continues
until I arrive at my door. I do my best to keep it down when neighbors walk
past.
Most of the
verses have to do with waiting. I will
see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord, be
strong, and take heart, and wait for the Lord. (Psalm 27:13). In days of old no one has heard, no one has
listened, no eyes have seen, any God except You, my Lord, who acts on behalf of
the one who waits for Him. (Isa. 64:4).
I am a lady-in-waiting.
The problem
with my life verse is my tendency to overlook the second part of the verse-Lean not on your own understanding. In
fact, I have a feeling if I could just stop leaning on myself and lean the
other way, I’d learn the lessons that God has for me. Instead, I feel sorry for
myself or worse, try to solve my problems.
Maybe that’s
why I was given that particular verse. God knew that my type-A personality
would get in the way of my progress on that straight path He promised me. God
has given us so many fine examples of people who have leaned well. Mary, at
fourteen years old, didn’t question the message the angel brought her. Gideon,
buoyed up by the fleece, didn’t fall apart when his troops were whittled from
thousands to hundreds. And who could imagine going through labor at Sarah’s
age?
My advice to
the unversed: Ask God for a life verse. And when you have one, wonder why that
particular verse was chosen for you.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Hey there, It's great to hear from you. Thanks for stopping by and for leaving a message for me.