March 4, 2015

Guest Post: Miss. K


When Sam asked me to write something for her blog, my immediate reaction was ‘sure’. I had no idea what I was supposed to write about, but she gave me the simple instructions of ‘personal experience’. I figured I have plenty of those stories, so this should be fairly simple. It had been a little while since I’d been on her blog though, so I went to brush up on my audience. I think I made it through three entries before I realized that this was not going to be so simple. In fact, this was going to be tricky. Our views are on opposite ends of the spectrum on just about everything. In addition to that, we both believe very much in what we believe in. 

I’ve known Sam for several years now, probably somewhere in the ball park of 7 years. It’s really quite surprising that I didn’t realize the stark contrasts of our opinions before now. But in all actuality, we’ve only recently became that kind of close. Still, you’d think those opinions would’ve shown themselves; after all, we’re both pretty vocal as well. 

Then I figured it out. Sometimes you meet people that are just those kinds of friends. You know: the ones that love you from someplace deep inside themselves and project that into that same place deep inside of you, the ones that you can say anything to because the only thing they require of you is that you are yourself, the ones that make your world better without ever realizing they’ve done a thing. These friends are rare and few and grossly under appreciated. 

I remember years ago telling my best friend one night that I only kept the incredible. All others need not apply. But then I lost that somewhere because I started having those temporary friends. The ones that are real at the time, and get you through some tough stuff, but they don’t want to last. But because they fill time, we lose sight of the ones that are, in fact, incredible. 

I’m more than blessed to be able to say that I have several of these people in my life and all of them graciously opened their arms for me to return, showing me that their hearts never closed. And they’ve taught me the kind of friend that I need to be. I need to be open, forgiving, thankful. I need to give my love easily and without reservation or condition. I need to share their heartbreaks with them, and my smiles. I need to make time in the midst of what I think is busy. I need to be the friend that I’m so, so lucky they are. 

When I started writing this, I had no idea where I was going. And I’m still not sure there’s 100% a point. I began hoping to inspire people to be thankful, but instead, I’ve made a new commitment just to try to give back to my friends even 1/10th of the wonderfulness they’ve given me. Open heart. Open mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there, It's great to hear from you. Thanks for stopping by and for leaving a message for me.