August 9, 2013

Nobody Wants To Pay The Asking Price ...




I was thinking late one evening about what my personal list of relationship deal breakers would look like. Would the list be miles long (because let's face it, everyone knows i'm fickle when it comes to relationships, and even more-so with the L word)? Am I too damaged to be able to know something good if it smacked me in the face? The natural progression of questions continued for the next few minutes and they looked something like this:

Am i too rigid?
Do I expect too much?
Am I realistic in my expectations?
Where is my heart?
What would make me walk away ?
Am I willing to compromise?
Does this type of person even exist?


Boyfriend, Friend, Family, Total Strangers...  Where do I really stand on the topic of Deal Breakers?

When does a relationship become overwhelming enough that it's time to take another look it? I mean everyone has their own version of a pro's and con's list right? How are we supposed to find the right kind of relationships with out them?

For example, I don't believe in sex before marriage, so a partner for me would have to accept and be alright with that, otherwise we aren't a very good fit for each other.
I wouldn't be a good fit for someone who enjoys going kayaking with their partner, because i get super motion sick.

With those things in mind, i started making my list. One, Two, Three, Four pages later... i came up with a plan.

I will not be in a relationship with a man who :
I will not be part of a family who:
I will not be friends with a person who:
I will not keep the company of people who:


The more i thought about it, the more i was convinced that no matter what i listed, I would always be able to come up with more flaws and short comings to look for. So i started thinking outside of the box. If every action has an equal and opposite reaction, then where did my focus need to shift?

I began to look at myself and started to put together a pro and con list of my own flaws, because who is a better judge of my character than myself?

I will not be a Daughter who:
I will not be a Sister who:
I will not be a Friend who:
I will not be a Girlfriend who:
I will not be a Woman who:

As it turns out, i'm just as much of a hot mess as all of the rest of the people in my world. The lesson i took away from the two very different pro and con lists, is that i could be on the receiving end of that four page not so pleasant list! I finally realized that even though I think that I'm a catch, I'm not perfectly suited for the rest of world. I'm just a girl looking for a little balance in life and my relationships.

Have a good weekend everyone!


post signature




2 comments:

  1. Good perspective shift... we are all flawed. I need to own my problems and no one else's. I like your playlist here, also. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. samantha i absolutley love this blog post ,so pround of you for chipping away at your wall

    ReplyDelete

Hey there, It's great to hear from you. Thanks for stopping by and for leaving a message for me.